Some of these “rules” aren’t as strict as they sound and some of them only apply in formal or business situations. So here are some things I want to add:
- Visits: You don’t have to bring a gift if you are just casually visiting your friend. However, bring a small gift if you are invited for dinner or a party.
- Sitting: The rule (wait until others sit) only applies in very formal situations.
- Suit jackets: See above!
- Tipping: It’s also okay to give a smaller tip - especially if you are younger. Back in the day when I had to live from pocket money, I often didn’t tip at all.
- Smoking: I never heard about this superstition! Maybe that’s only because I don’t smoke, but I wouldn’t take this rule too seriously.
- Toasting: My friend is studying abroad and told me her friends there look at her like she were mad whenever she tries to make eye contact before toasting. However, I never heard that it’s supposed to bring bad luck if you don’t do it but “seven years of bad sex!” I guess that’s why everyone is sticking to that rule so passionately.